Monday 17 December 2007

Does Singing or Humming a Tune Help Your Golf?

Songs/Tunes that I have sang or hummed during a round to help me improve my golf!

Yes I have tried it and yes it can work. Your playing partners may or may not approve, but it is worth a try and it is funny to see oter players’ reactions.
Warning - do not use Vanilla Ice’s track “Ice, Ice Baby” as my own experience tells me that it soon becomes “Slice, Slice baby” with the obvious disastrous results. I suppose for similar reasons anything by Dr.Hook should also be avoided!

The Beautiful South “Song for Whoever”

During a 4 ball better ball match on the annual boys golfing holiday in Spain one year, a playing partner happened to be humming this tune which I then picked up on. Next thing you know, I’m singing the chorus on the tee (out loud whilst swinging - much to the bemusement of my playing partners) and I start to hit the ball really nicely. My timing seemed to come together, I lost all the usual tension in my swing and I started to belt the ball long and straight. We won the match. I continued to do this for the rest of the holiday and actually played some decent golf; but unfortunately my playing partners did get a bid fed up with it after a while - perhaps if my singing had been a bit better then they wouldn’t have minded!

Give it a try! Start the backswing on “Jennifer” and hit the ball between “Philppa and Sue”

Jennifer, Alison, Philippa, Sue, Deborah, Annabel too

Jennifer, Alison, Philippa, Sue, Deborah, Annabel too

Full lyrics below:

I love you from the bottom, of my pencil case
I love you in the songs, I write and sing

Love you because, you put me in my rightful place
And I love the prs cheques, that you bring

Cheap, never cheap
I'll sing you songs till you're asleep
When you've gone upstairs I'll creep
And write it all down

Oh shirley, oh deborah, oh julie, oh jane
I wrote so many songs about you
I forget your name (I forget your name)
Jennifer, alison, phillipa, sue, deborah, annabel, too
Jennifer, alison, phillipa, sue, deborah, annabel, too
I forget your name

I love your from the bottom of my pencil case
I love the way you never ask me why
I love to write about each wrinkle on your face
And I love you till my fountain pen runs dry

Deep so deep, the number one I hope to reap
Depends upon the tears you weep, so cry, lovey cry, cry, cry, cry

Oh cathy, oh alison, oh phillipa, oh sue
You made me so much money, I wrote this song for you
Jennifer, alison, phillipa, sue, deborah, annabel, too
I wrote this song for you

So let me talk about mary, a sad story
Turned her grief into glory
Late at night, by the typewriter light,
She ripped his ribbon to shreds


The other song I still often humm (to myself!) during a round is “Ain't Got No - I Got Life” by Nina Simone vs. Groovefinder.

Whilst it’s quite a difficult tune to sing (well for me at any rate) I find it’s a great tune to humm and it really helps me mentally take my head out of my game. I stop worrying about swing mechanics and just concentrate on enjoying the game, thinking about what a good shot from my current position would be and walking the course taking in the scenery and chatting to my friends.

When I take this approach I tend to play much better golf than when I really try and concentrate for 4 hours (which is impossible, unless you happen to be the world memory champion!). Next time you are playing a competition round try it. Pick a tune and try and humm it to yourself between shots as you walk up the fairway, from green to tee and so forth. It also helps you deal with the inevitable poor shots you will hit rather than the usual swearing, ranting and raving which only serves to get you more tense and worked up for your next shot.

For me it helps put the game into proper perspective; I’d like to play like Tiger Woods, but unfortunately mostly play like Victoria Woods. Humming a tune like this helps me see the wood from the trees (sorry for the awful pun); it’s only a game of golf, there are far more important things at stake in life or going on in the world. It helps me stay good humoured and in control, the keys for me to play good golf.

I’d love to hear from any other crazed golfers out there who have tried similar things to help them? Anyone aware of any professional golfers using simialr techniques?

Full lyrics below:

Ain't got no home, ain't got no shoes
Ain't got no money, ain't got no class
Ain't got no friends, ain't got no schoolin
Ain't got no worth, ain't got no job
Ain't got no mind

What have I got?
Why am I alive anyway?
Yeah, what have I got?
Nobody can take away

I got my hair, I got my head
I got my brains, I got my ears
I got my eyes, I got my nose
I got my mouth, I got my smile

* I got my tongue, I got my chin
I got my neck, I got my boobies
I got my heart, I got my soul
I got my back, I got my sex

Ain't got no father, ain't got no mother
Ain't got no children, ain't got no faith
Ain't got no earth, ain't got no water
Ain't got no ticket, ain't got no token
Ain't got no love

What have I got?
Why am I alive anyway?
Yeah, what have I got?
Nobody can take away

I got my hair, I got my head
I got my brains, I got my ears
I got my eyes, I got my nose
I got my mouth, I got my smile

* I got my tongue, I got my chin
I got my neck, I got my boobies
I got my heart, I got my soul
I got my back, I got my sex

** I got my arms, I got my hands
I got my fingers, Got my legs
I got my feet, I got my toes
I got my liver, Got my blood

I've got life, I've got my freedom
I've got a lot

No comments:

Podcasts - Pocketshots video free golf lesson downloads to iPod, iTunes, mobile phones

Pocketshots - Free Golf Video Lessons from famous European Tour golf coaches