Tuesday 13 May 2008

GPS Golf RangeFinders Can Save You Shots

Recently I met Jackie Hitchcock, Managing Director of Sky Caddie at the glorious Oxfordshire Golf Club. I interviewed her about her range of golf GPS rangefinders. Here's a little clip of that interview. It took less than 10 minutes for Jackie to convince me of the merits of using a SkyCaddie; and only 2 minutes to convince the cameraman to get one too!

I've got my eyes on the SkyCaddie SG5 - with its large colour screen it's easy to read and straightforward to operate. You can download your course from the SkyCaddie website - they have over 17,000 professionally mapped courses worldwide and if yours is not listed they can survey it for you (with the club's permission). Yes, unlike every other GPS device supplier, SkyCaddie actually sends out surveyors to map each and every course! Thinking as a caddy would do for his or her player, they plot all the distances to the hazards and target areas so you can manage your way around the course effectively. It really works and because it uses commercial grade GPS engines (if you are considering a cheaper GPS then ask them about the quality of their engine) it is very, very accurate! Certainly more accurate than the 100 and 150 yard markers on your average golf course!

I would love to hear feedback if you are using a GPS unit and it is saving you shots?

I can see 3 easy ways SkyCaddie is is going to save everyone shots; 1) by avoiding errors in shot strategy off the tee or for your approach; 2) perfect club selection to get the exact distance to the pin and the front and back of the green (check out Sky Caddie's Intelligreen feature at the end of the video); 3) knowing how far you actually hit the ball (SkyCaddie can tell you!) - Yes let's face it we all overestimate how far we actually hit the ball on average.

Check out the video and let me know what you think. I think this is definitely going to help me in my quest to get to single figures!

No comments:

Podcasts - Pocketshots video free golf lesson downloads to iPod, iTunes, mobile phones

Pocketshots - Free Golf Video Lessons from famous European Tour golf coaches